The color of the Bay is an indicator of its health. In this new initiative, Volunteers will use a smartphone app to photograph and measure the color of Casco Bay. The data, along with location and time, become part of a worldwide catalog of water color. To learn more about this effort read our post about Color by Numbers.
In order to be a Color by Numbers volunteer:
- You will need a smartphone (iPhone or Android) or a tablet (iPad or Android tablet, such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab).
- Sign up by filling out the form below.
- Once you sign up, we will give you a link to a great video and step-by-step guide for how to download and use the app.
What you need to know:
- We are asking volunteers to measure water color on selected dates from now through October. Some are weekdays and some are weekends, as the optimal light for measuring water color is at midday high tides. You choose the dates that work for you from these options.
- A dock, pier, or boat is a great platform from which to assess the Bay. You can sample anywhere on or along Casco Bay, as long as you cannot see the bottom. You can sample at the same location each time, or different locations that are convenient for you based on the measuring time.
- The more data you collect, the better, so we encourage volunteers to take several measurements.
- If you have color vision deficiency, this isn’t the right volunteer project for you! But we have other efforts that we can use your help with (sign up to volunteer on other projects).