Join us at Bug Light Park for International Coastal Cleanup Day!
When: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 9 AM – Noon
Where: Bug Light Park
Questions? Email Sarah at slyman [at] cascobay [dot] org
Do you want to help keep Casco Bay clean? Volunteer to help out at our public coastal cleanup!
Trash is an unsightly blight that makes it hard for everyone to enjoy a special place like Casco Bay. Litter and marine debris on our shores come from many sources. Careless beach goers, boaters, fishing vessels, and other ships can leave trash behind. Stormwater washes trash from yards and parking lots into storm drains that empty into Casco Bay.
When you volunteer to help us with a cleanup, you are:
- Collecting data on the types and size of materials removed
- The data is then used locally and internationally for marine debris advocacy efforts
- Making our shores cleaner and safer
- Ensuring our coast is a place people can go to recreate and relax
- Helping protect wildlife
- Supporting the local economy as our coast is part of Maine’s brand; it as an ideal tourist attraction that creates a stream of revenue that supports our community
- Protecting our quality of life