Getting Started: sign up for Water Reporter
Step 1: Download the Water Reporter app on your smartphone
There are two ways to download the Water Reporter app, either search your phone’s app store or use the links provided here.
- Search method: In the App Store (iPhone) or Play Store (Android), search for “The Water Reporter” and find the app with the logo shown here.
- Link method:
- iPhone: On your phone, use your browser (e.g. Safari, Chrome) to go to (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-water-reporter/id668005311https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-water-reporter/id668005311?mt=8) A new window will open asking “Open in the app store?” Click yes. Click “Get” to download the app.
- Android: On your phone, use your browser (e.g. Chrome) to go to (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viableindustries.waterreporter&hl=en_US). Click Install.
Once the app is installed, open it.
Step 2: Sign up to create your account
See the screenshots of these steps below.
2.1 Enter your first name, last name, email address, and a password and click “Sign Up for Water Reporter”.
2.2 Join the Friends of Casco Bay group by typing “Friends of Casco Bay” in the search bar. Then tap the green circle. The circle will fill, indicating that you have joined our group.
Click the checkmark in the upper right after you have selected our group.
NOTE: You can leave groups at any time from your profile page and the group’s feed. You can join more groups by searching for their feed and selecting ‘follow’.
2.3 On the next screen you can choose specific people to follow. When you follow people, their posts will appear in your global feed, a stream of posts that is relevant to you. Since you’ll see posts from our group, you can also skip this step by tapping the instruction to do so. Tap the checkmark in the upper right to save your settings.
2.4 Set up your profile and notifications: Tap the menu icon, a stack of three lines, in the upper left-hand corner. Select Edit Profile.
Complete your Profile
Add a simple bio. Consider identifying yourself as a Friends of Casco Bay volunteer and sharing how you enjoy Casco Bay. Then, change your profile photo. We encourage you to personalize your account so that we all can fully embrace the community aspect of Water Reporter.
Water Reporter will send you notifications whenever someone likes or comment on your posts.
Tap the checkmark in the upper right to save your settings.
Congrats, on setting up your account. There is just one more step before making a test post.
Step 3: Make sure your Location Services are turned on outside of the Water Reporter app.
- iPhone: Go into Settings, click on “Privacy” and then “Location Services” make sure the toggle is green.
- Android: Open your device’s Settings app.
Tap Security & Location and then Location. (If you don’t see “Security & Location,” tap Location.)
Turn Location on.
You are ready to create your first post. See how here.
Step 4: Complete our Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability Form
If you haven’t already completed a Volunteer Application including the Volunteer Release and Waiver of Liability Form, please complete the following form to finish your registration as a Water Reporter.